Friday, March 13, 2009

PhotoSynth: New "Medium" on the Block



This is my first attempt at PhotoSynth. Here you have a 3d walkthrough my living room. Check out the detailing on the century old grandfather clock on the wall and yes, try it in full-screen mode.

PhotoSynth from Microsoft is an amazing new tech I am currently dabbling with. It's neither photos, nor video. Almost like a new medium. It's great for showing a 3d walkthrough of a location or event. CNN used it first to capture "the Moment" during Barrak Obama's inaugural.

I think it has tremendous potential in tourism. I have used it pretty sucessfully to do a 360-degree walkthrough of a commercial location I recently shot. This is, I think, the first time PhotoSynth is used for a resort in Goa. Will post that shortly.

[Note: to view the Photosynth you will need to download a small viewer software from the site. I have not experienced any issues with the software on a Windows Vista machine.]

No comments: